For the third year in a row, the Killer Infographics team is leaving the clouds of Seattle for the Austin sun to attend the SXSW Conference, an annual event that brings together a diverse group of international artists, marketers, tech gurus, and more. This nearly two-week experience gives attendees the opportunity to network and learn from industry experts while enjoying evenings of film premiers, comedy shows, and musical performances.
While attending a comedy show is something we’ll try to squeeze in, our days will be packed! From meeting people at our trade show booth to presenting a session on March 14th, we’re looking forward to seeing all sides of the visual industry.
What to Expect From Killer
Last year at SXSW was the first time we had ever hosted a trade show booth, and we jumped right in the deep end with a corner spot. While the space kept us on our toes, this year we decided to up the stakes even more with a twice-as-large, end-cap spot directly across from NASA on one side and our friends from UViaUs on the other. Look for us at booth(s) 741/840!
This year, we are unveiling 3 new service offerings as well as a brand new proprietary tool that makes creating annual reports, presentations, and interactive data visualizations even easier for our clients. We are also offering up to $20,000 in free services by bringing back our Killer110 SXSW promotion (visit our booth to learn more). Our booth will be open March 12th-15th, so please stop by to say hello, checkout our new tech, and get a free gift from our team.
In addition to our booth, we will be presenting a session about visual communication campaigns on March 14 at 12:30 PM. How One Visual Campaign is Fighting Homelessness will share what we learned in our 2016 partnership with WeCount, a Seattle nonprofit that uses technology and the shareconomy to help end homelessness locally and beyond. Through the development and execution of a long-term visual strategy, Killer donated more than $100,000 in services to WeCount. Along with WeCount Executive Director Graham Pruss, we will share our experiences over the past year and provide detailed steps on how to launch your own visual campaign.
What to Expect From SXSW
If you’re attending SXSW for the first time, there will be a lot to take in. Here are some pointers we picked up on last year that will help you make the most of your conference experience:
- Pack your lunch: Consider buying groceries ahead of time so you can bring lunch with you. With so much going on, you won’t want to spend time in a long food line — and the better the food, the longer the line. With some sandwiches and snacks at your side, you can focus on the conference, not your belly.
- Carry a backpack — but fill it carefully: With full days at the conference, there are things you’ll need to carry. Make sure to balance your essentials with your strength, as you don’t want to be weighed down — and, consider if you can make any substitutions. Choose a tablet instead of a laptop. Wear a comfortable shirt, but pack a blazer (you never know who you might meet, and you should always be ready to network with the best of ’em). And make sure there’s room for your lunch, of course!
- Take time to sleep: SXSW is the perfect combination of excitement and exhaustion, so be sure to pace yourself. You’ll find a networking event around every corner, so be selective about the ones you attend. Since you’ll be nonstop for 14-16 hours each day, make sure to rest and recharge — it will make a difference in the long run.
- Plan ahead, but stay flexible: Use the SXSW app to plan your sessions ahead of time. The most popular sessions will have long lines, so you will want to provide yourself enough time to get to and from each one. That being said, your plans are sure to change at least once, but taking advantage of unexpected opportunities is all part of the excitement. As long as you’re open to change and not married to your schedule, you will be make the most of your experience.
- Be sure to attend the trade show: The trade show combines hundreds of exhibitors from around the world and gives you the opportunity to test out exciting new technology, find vendors who can solve any professional challenges, and explore innovative businesses. Walk around, talk to people, shake hands — and carry your business card with you!
If you plan to attend SXSW this year, please reach out to us! We would love the opportunity to set up a time to meet, get to know you, answer any questions you might have, and share stories of exhaustion and fun.