Media and marketing efforts often rely on data visualizations to quickly prove a point. Successful data visualization helps clarify information by giving an overview of the implications of your research. But poorly designed visualizations can be misleading. Whether it’s choosing the wrong charts or graphs, misinterpreting the data, or showing it without context, inaccurate designs can become a source of global scrutiny.
To succeed in design and marketing today, one must know how to interpret and properly visualize data. This course, developed and led by Killer Infographics CEO Amy Balliett, walks you through the ins and outs of creating accurate and compelling data visualizations. Amy focuses on best practices, not tools, although she does provide an overview of Illustrator graphing features. Using these tips, you’ll learn how to stand out from the crowd and create charts and graphs that combine precision with visual appeal.
Topics covered in this tutorial include:
- Choosing the appropriate charts and graphs for different data
- Providing the right context without misleading the audience
- Visualizing data that doesn’t lend itself to imagery
- Adding visual appeal without sacrificing accuracy
- Using the Adobe Illustrator graphing tools
- Avoiding common data viz mistakes